pilot program ~ Summer 2014
6 representatives of the Youth Arts Group traveled to Seattle, Washington for ten days in August 2014 in the pilot program of 3C.
We are very grateful to the following people who generously gave us their time, energy, and resources for this trip:
- All Pilgrims Christian Church, Pastor Greg Turk, and office manager Jeremy Matheis. Thank you for kindly hosting us in your Capitol Hill church for our entire stay in Seattle. We gave a brief presentation at the Sunday worship service on the Youth Arts Group, farmworkers' rights, and the 3C trip.
- Sahar Fathi, Policy Analyst for City of Seattle Office of Immigrant and Refugee Affairs. Thank you for meeting with us in your office downtown and giving us your insight into the city government's efforts to support immigrant communities in Seattle.
- Sarah Léon, a student and member of Richard Hugo House. Thank you for organizing a free spoken word poetry workshop for us.
- Angel Langley, a University of Washington student and member of Youth Speaks. Thank you for dynamically holding three spoken word poetry workshops for us.
- Northwest Detention Center Protest Organizers, Stina, José, and others. Thank you for welcoming us into your activist community and letting us share our tableaus (silent street theater of the oppressed) as a contribution to a rally outside the detention center.
- Jay Craver, supporter of the Youth Arts Group. Thank you for inviting us onto your sailboat for a trip in Puget Sound.
- Jerry DeGrieck, Kathleen McCowan, and Helen Finch. Thank you for connecting us with contacts, sharing a meal with us, and working behind the scenes to help make this trip happen.
- Margie Quinn, fellow at All Pilgrims Christian Church (and currently working at Facing Homelessness!). Thank you for connecting us with All Pilgrims Church and educating us about issues of homelessness in Seattle.